She ran
on the grass
and rescued the child with a cut leg.
She laid
on the floor next to the couch
and didn’t sleep much when my fever was very high.
She stands
by the window
and watches another front flip on the tramp.
She rocks
in the chair in her room
and reads countless stories.
She walked
to the canal with a picnic
and told us that Raney was coming.
She sat
next to me in my hospital bed after the birth of my first child
and advised my feelings.
She drives
to lessons and games and recitals
and cheers thousands of times.
She kneels
in the family room
and gathers her children in the evening.
I’m still learning
to give my verbs to motherhood.
I’m grateful
my mom gives hers.
Love you Mom! Happy Mother's Day!
Margot, this is so great! Brings back so many memories. Love you Mom, thanks for always being there.
ReplyDeleteOK, so this made me cry. Beautiful poem Marg. We have the best Mom ever! Love you Mom!
ReplyDeleteI forgot about the picnic. I do remember though that mom made us stay up late one night so when she ask dad for another kid that he wouldn't yell and beat her (thats what I thought at the time). I just remember that he couldn't seem to believe that she wanted another one. And mom said that she could tell there was still one special(and I mean SPECIAL) spirit waiting. And Dad said, just think how much another one will cost, we will have to put her through college.... So Raney, I will back you up that Dad said he would put you through college before you were born.
ReplyDeleteThrough this I learned I can say no when a wife comes to me and asks for another special spirit.
Happy made up holiday so that the stores can sell more crap. Love you mom.-Lewis
Loved this Margot. I cried as well. Best Mom ever...
ReplyDeleteToday a member of the bishopric walked up to me and handed me the treat for the mothers. I told him, "Thank you but I'm not a mother", he smiled and said, "take it, this is the bishopric informing you that it is time for you to become a mother." I told Ty and he just laughed....He had no comment.
Happy Mothers Day Mom, Katie, Mary, Amber, Margot, and Kristy!