Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Break '13

 Our kids had a short 4 week break from school. During that time we tried to squeeze in as many adventures as we could.
This last Saturday Lewis, Carol Sue, Locke and I ran the Timp Half Marathon. We didn't know that the Ettingers were running it, we just happened to meet up at the port-a-potties! Lewis and I had a great finish time at 1 hour and 58 minutes. This is very good when you consider that the longest training run we ran was only 7 miles, Lew finished graveyards the night before, and I accidentally tripped Lewis so he kicked himself in the calf.  He did look darn good in his high school track uniform.
 Here we are at the Olsen cabin in Strawberry. Zane is riding his Chopper Hog, Ruby is a pro rider on her bike and Lew is a hopeful ballerina.
 Ever heard of the crater in Midway? Well we got to swim in it with Mary and her sweet girls! Mary came to Utah for some school shopping. We ate at Baja Cantina in Park City and then went swimming in their hotel pool. The next day we met them at the crater.
 The water in the crater was a toasty 96 degrees with a depth of 90 feet. The have scuba diving lessons there!
 You can see Ruby, Lew, Zane, Mary, Brynn, and a bit of Hailey and Erika in this picture.
 Hailey and Erika have grown up so fast since the last time we saw them. They are beautiful, sweet girls. We loved spending a few hours with them!
 Brynn was a bit nervous to be in the water. Ok, I was too. She was much braver than I was! She is such a smart little thing!
 We have an awesome underwater camera. Lew had a great time taking some sweet shots. About 20 feet below the surface there was a metal grate. Lew dove down to touch it. He made it!
 While we were there some scuba divers played a little trick on us. They put this plastic alligator by our feet. Hailey jumped out of the water so fast! Thanks Mary for a wonderful two days! We really miss seeing you and loved hanging out with you! Your the best!!!

We also got the opportunity to float the Provo River! We bought 2 tubes and one raft. The raft did not last too long. The kids made it down the river for about one mile. Then Lew hopped in. Within 2 minutes Lew was bailing out water and calling, "man down! man down!"
 Parts of the river are a bit shallow so we would need Lew to get out and pull us over the rocks.
 Here is a note for future Provo River rafters- float with the sun overhead! We froze our buns off when the sun went behind the mountains! Wow it was cold.
It was a good thing we had life jackets on the kids. At the end we got stuck behind a large rock. While pushing off the rock, I flipped Lew and Zane over, into the river. Zane popped right back up, and Lew was able to climb back onto the tube. About 5 minutes later we were getting out of the river and I slipped and pulled Ruby back in. Here is a note for future Provo River rafters- don't invite me- Amber. I end up hurting everyone. It is fun though!!!!

We are really looking forward to spending the weekend with everyone in Coalville. We would love it if everyone joined us in running the Dirty Dash. It really is a lot of fun. You don't have to run the whole thing. It has some fun, muddy obstacles. If you can't finish the obstacle, no problem, skip it. I can't complete the monkey bars challenge, but I'll give it another try this year! The other great part of the Dirty Dash is that the money to register goes toward the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Bonus!

See you all soon!
P.S. I speak to hold Cache first!
P.P.S. If this post does not make sense, it's about 1am. I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.