Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pinus flexilis

Today I had time to ponder about the amazing things I have seen in my life and how some of them make it seem that my life is almost insignificant and small compared to the amount of time that exists in eternity. We visited a living being that has lived over 2000 years. I thought how neat it would be to hear the stories that it could tell about the creatures its seen and how the earth has changed. Seeing the tree was one of the more amazing things I have ever seen. I was amazed at its size, its age and that its growing out of a rock. It also wasn't easy to get to. The tree is located near Pittsburg Lake in Mineral Basin. The Pittsburg Lake trail is 1.5 miles and gains 1,343 feet in elevation. The trail is loose rock which makes it difficult. Ruby made it up and back the whole way, Zane cried the whole way up but hiked most of the way down. Both kids came home with bloody knees and hands from many slips and falls. After get to the lake a hike through large boulders got us to the tree (Amber and I took turns since there was no way the kids could make it). This tree is the second largest in the state and is one of eight national champions in trees that Utah has. It circumference is 275" at 4'6" and is 62' tall and a spread of 47'. We found out about it almost a year ago and waited a whole year to get the chance to find it. I could have sat and starred at it for hours had I been alone. So without further a due I give you Piunus flexilis also known as the Limber Pine.


This picture you can see me standing next to it.




Here is Amber's self portrait in front of it to give some perspective on its size (with her sitting next to it the tree looks Huge! (brownie points for me wink wink )). Click on the picture and you'll be able to see just how happy she is.

1 comment:

  1. Side note- I (amber) had on the self-timer, and I didn't make it to the tree because of the large boulders, so I'm not striking a dance pose, I just thought the picture would be better if it was not a butt shot.
    We really did have a fun time. For those of you who hiked to this lake last year- it was a lot easier this time around.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.